Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Your World, Your Words



Sitting here next to my new grandson, I wonder what his world will be like when he grows up. I wonder what words will define his future. Who will speak words to him that will inspire him and make him feel invincible? What words will he hear to make him feel less than he is? As a writer, I know the power of words in a story line. However, as a human, I know the power of words in our lives.  Words have the power to create or to destroy, to unify or to divide, and to build foundations of success or failure, even happiness or misery.
Looking back on my life, I can remember words spoken to me that made me doubt myself and words spoken to me that made me feel like I could do anything. In many instances, I can even remember who spoke those words. That’s why as I look at this innocent life, I pray the words I speak to him will never cause him to hurt, to doubt, or experience pain, but only cause him comfort, joy, and inspiration. 

Growing up as children, we believe every word spoken to us and our worlds begin to develop around those words. For instance, if we grew up hearing how wonderful and how beautiful we are, we have more confidence than the children who grew up hearing nothing positive about their attributes or characteristics. Thus, these words affected the outlook and reaction to the world they live in. 

The creation of our worlds doesn't stop there. As we all mature and become adults, words continue to shape our worlds: past, present, and future. Since our worlds are shaped by our own minds, thoughts, and beliefs, we have the responsibility to ourselves and to others to use our words wisely. Always remember the power of words and remember words become thoughts, thoughts become actions, and actions create outcomes that design your world.

So for the sake ourselves and our little ones, live by these words: Happy Words! Happy World!

No comments:

Post a Comment