Saturday, June 9, 2012

Hilton Head Still in My Head


About a month ago, I finally had the opportunity to make it to Hilton Head Island, SC.  Hearing about it many times from friends and co-workers made it sound enticing enough for me to check out.  Wow, what a relaxing beautiful beach.  Not overly crowded, but that may have been because I was there in April.  But, the water was already warm.
So what makes this beach town any different from the others?  One word or two, its simplicity and beauty.  Oh, and may I add another?  Eco-friendly.  Which is why the first thing I noticed was the stores, or for what I thought as I drove across the bridge into the island that there weren’t any.  But, there were.  Not shouting at you like most strip malls, malls, or stand-alones as you drive down the road.  These stores were recessed from the highway behind beautiful greenery and signage low to the ground, their logos almost indistinctively blending into the environment. There were no tall signs announcing a Target over here, or a commonly identifiable CVS over there.   Instead, if you were looking for one of your familiar stores, you had to really look or you would pass it quickly.  Did I have a problem with that?  No way.  It was a nice change from being blasted in the face with advertisements, not even one billboard. The stores blended into nice beach muted colors, low-level buildings that were all the same but still a tad bit distinctive.  The McDonalds didn’t look like the McDonalds we are used to seeing.  But, you get the picture.

Hilton Head Island was a lush, soothing environment.  Just being there gives you pause to breathe.  Like most beach towns, there is so much to do.  At the same time, so much to not do if you are like me, who finds lying on the beach enjoying the sound of the ocean and the sound of the seagulls as the “thing to do.”  However, this grand little island had long green bike trails, golf courses, shops, restaurants, boats, fishing, and did I mention food?  I’m not going to laud any of the restaurants.  The food was good, but not exceptional.  I am told I missed the exceptional restaurants.  So I will have to go back.  As an aside, breakfast was great at the hotel, but it is at most of those chains. 

I did enjoy my adventure to Hilton Head Island.  It was a peaceful, healing place with lots of friendly faces.  So guess what?  I’ll Be Back!!!

Achieve Any Goal

No comments:

Post a Comment