Saturday, March 19, 2011

SELF-PUBLISHING TIPS 102

In 2009, I embarked on a magnificent journey.  I had written my first novel, and I wanted to hold it in my hand in book form.  But, all I had was a manuscript and a decision to make.  I could submit it to traditional publishers, but I didn’t have an agent.  I could find an agent, but how long would that take?  I was an inpatient author with a finished, edited book with very little cash.  But, I looked anyway and found a plethora of publishing options.  I compared and compared and decided on a print-on-demand self-publishing organization called Outskirts Press that delivered my beautiful, professionally bound baby in just a few short months.  I submitted it in April and it was released in August.  It was a wonderful first time experience as well as a gratifying learning experience.   I am going to continue to share the basics you need to know about self-publishing in this blog to help you get off to a faster start than I did and be able to make fact-based decisions whether to go traditional, independent, or print-on-demand.  I am going to outline what features or aspects to consider, so you can meet your self-publishing needs. 
 For more comprehensive information on self-publishing, I do recommend these three books:
1.       Dan Poynter’s Self-Publishing Guide:  How to Write, Sell, and Print Your Own Books by Dan Poynter.
2.       Complete Guide to Self-Publishing - Everything You Need to Know to Write, Publish, Promote, and Sell Your Own Book by Tom and Marilyn Ross.
3.       The Well-Fed Self-Publisher-How to Turn One Book into a Full-Time Living by Peter Bowerman.
There is a ton of information available out there, but that can be quite daunting.   I hope to help you get to the nuts and bolts then expand as needed in the direction of your choice. 

The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing: Everything You Need to Know to Write, Publish, Promote and Sell Your Own Book

No comments:

Post a Comment